10.29.2011

Weaning (lots of details)

Mama is in the process of weaning my one-year-old. With Henry, I was encouraged by the bag doctor to wean him because I was pregnant, so Henry had his last nursing-feeding at 11 months.

However, with Elliot, I am not pregnant and not as motivated to wean. Well, until he got his 4th tooth in this week and I am a little more motivated now. I have been dropping a feeding a week. On Thursday and Friday, I just nursed him for bedtime (and yowza- going from two feedings to one is painful! By bedtime, I was about to burst!) But this morning, when Elliot woke up at 4:15 and wouldn't fall back asleep, I whipped out the milk express so I am back at two feedings a day.

I know that Elliot will be fine but I'm still a little sad about weaning this kid. I love that time of rocking and nursing and having his little hands on my face (or in my mouth, nose, or pulling my earrings...not always as fun). Breastfeeding has been an incredible experience for me and I'm so blessed to have been able to nurse this long, thank you, Lord!

3 comments:

Bethany said...

I know both of our goals is to be done breastfeeding when our boys are 1, but WHOEVER SAID YOU HAD TO STOP NURSING YOUR SON WHEN THEY TURNED 1!?! Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. Yes, I think I'll be done when Jonah is 1 but I think it's purely a social thing that is making moms stop at the 1 year mark. If you aren't ready to stop, then I think that's ok. Love you!

Brooke & Freeland said...

Id totally be back at 2 feedings a day too.. at 4 or 5 in the morning I become a delirious person and will do whatever it takes to get my son back to sleep. Just get er done so you can come visit! ;) ha love you

Christie Lee said...

Do what you feel is best! I started weaning when it felt right for us both and he finally had his last at 14 months. It IS bittersweet (not the milk...its just sweet. :) but stopping. It is such a precious time but its a part of letting go too. Elliot is getting so big. Miss you guys so much!