12.27.2007

12 days of Christmas

Hi and Merry Christmas to all! I hope you enjoyed your time with family & friends and are recovering from eating too many delicious foods like I am!

We had a fantastic time in Ruston (I’ll post pictures soon). It was weird to be somewhere that lacked snow on the ground. And what’s that up in the sky? It’s burning my retinas and warming my insides! Oh, don’t worry, it’s just (gasp) the sun. Uncle Adam and Aunty Camille played on scooters and the neighbor's trampoline with the sweet nephews. I got to go on a run with my best pal and visit some other special pals and family while I was home. My mom cooked up a storm in an attempt to force us all to make the same New Year’s resolution. The time home was rich and precious and went by far too quickly but we certainly missed ole Powers and are glad to all be reunited!

The nephews got a Wii and it is stinking FUN! My favorite was tennis. Love it. We couldn’t do the boxing on because you each have to have a virtual numbchuck (spelling?). More on that with the pictures posting.

Quick story: Adam and I flew home on Christmas night. Well, our first flight was from Shreveport to Detroit. So, we’re flying along… beginning our descent. And we were just commenting on how this was the smoothest flight ever and we were going to be early to the gate. THEN, the flight attendant comes on the microphone thingy and says, “No need to panic but the pilots are having some problems with the controls and we will be making an emergency landing in Detroit. There will be some firetrucks and ambulances that are waiting on us, but no need to panic. Also, please make sure that your luggage is securely stowed underneath the seat in front of you.”

Oh, poop. It’s the wheels, isn’t it? The wheels are stuck and aren’t going to come out. Oh well, this is it. Lets go see Jesus! But it wasn't "it" and we landed on a landing strip (on our wheels) far away from the actual airport (in case we burst into flames?) and we were inspected by the fire engines and got to drive up. We survived. Hooray!

Then, we get into the Detroit airport and our next flight was delayed. Well, that’s okay, right? No big deal- we’ll go hang out and enjoy the Detroit airport and the psychedelic tunnel (if you’ve been to Detroit airport, you know what I’m talking about.) But then the mechanics were working on it and it kept getting delayed and we were like, its late… this flight is going to get cancelled. But it didn’t and we got home at 2 a.m. and I still made it to work the next morning! SUPERSTAR.

Trivia: Michigan state law prohibits the sale of alcohol from 9:00 p.m. on Christmas Eve to 7:00 a.m. on December 26th.

My nephew was the only one who remembered the 11th day of Christmas. Pipers piping??!? Who would've thunk it.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woooooaaahhh! thats why i wont get on one of them there airplanes. i think you is a really brave person. you like to tip a few like i do and this is a good thing. ain't Detroit a nice city? Ive never bin there but i buy my cigiretes from some middle easterner who brings them to erie from detroit and sells them in the bars i go to. happy new year. your cool people.

Lora said...

Adam gets the "favorite relative" award for his willingness to sing with "the nephew". No shame in that man when it comes to having a good time with the kids. This may have been my favorite time the entire weekend! The James genes come out in the other men when it comes to "having fun"!

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

I find it quite calmingly unusual that you say "poop" during an air emergency. Are a freak of nature?? Been through the DET airport many times via Erie and other places. Love the psychodelic people mover. Poop is just not a word that comes to mind.

Who is your new friend Lenny?? Maybe he can hook you up with some cigs....I know how you iron lungs need yer fix.

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

And what is up w/the no alcohol policy. I don't really drink but I will tell you. After hearing the those words from the flight attendant I am thinking I would some Wild Turkey on the rocks would be looking good. Funny how you can't sell alcohol but you can still cap someone's ass from Midnight to 6am on xmass in Detroit.

Olson Family said...

SCARY! oh my gosh i would have been freaking out!

Brooke & Freeland said...

Wait - that said you flew home on Christmas Eve.. then you also made it to work the next morning? Sooo - did you go to work on Christmas? Im assuming I read that too fast! Im also listening to a training for work right now while Im reading your blog - so maybe I read it wrong. I CANT WAIT TO BE UP THERE & SEE YOU!!!!!!!!!!

the Jennings secede from the South said...

whoops, I changed it- it was supposed to be Christmas night... my bad...