8.03.2010

My Sickies

I had two sick boys this weekend- Henry kicked it off on Friday evening with the green snot galore and then Adam woke up Sunday morning with a really sore throat and the same aforementioned body fluid. Adam rested a lot since he began a new month of ER this afternoon and Henry, well, Henry was just pretty whiney. We were laughing and saying that when you're older, you just want to sleep and sleep when you're sick. When you're a kid with a cold, you keep the same hours...you're just not as happy (understatement). Thankfully, both are feeling better today.

I honestly had a pretty bad attitude when Adam woke up sick on Sunday morning. Sunday was going to be the day that Adam got up with Henry at 6 a.m. and I was going to sleep longer. Instead my plans were disrupted since Adam's body required more sleep to fight his sickness. Instead of compassion for my husband who didn't feel well, I felt self-pity. It reminded me of the constant war raging between my flesh and my Spirit...my flesh truly wants to do what it wants to do right in that moment. It is 100% selfish and self-focused. The Spirit calls me to love at all times and to be patient and not self-seeking...to humble myself as Jesus did and to regard the needs of others as greater than my own. This does not come easily for me.

A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.
-Proverbs 11:25

This is an awesome promise upon which to hang out hats. I am thankful that the Lord provides rest and refreshment for us. He is loving and patient towards me without fail. Help me to learn to be like that...


3 comments:

Jenna Cox said...

Camille, what a fabulous reminder. As i was sitting here nodding in agreement when i wake up early for work each morning and see Matt laying peacefully asleep and want to cuss him out for it, i have to remind myself that it IS a constant battle. AND it isnt about me. Duh, right? The Spirit does call to love at all times. Even when my hubby gets an hour extra sleep than me b/c he runs his own busines and can make his own schedule. Sucker... ha! Kidding...sort of...

Lora said...

Sweet post BUT a green runny nose will be SUFFICENT description!

Marylou said...

So true friend. Living to meet the needs of others instead of thinking about ourselves is HARD to do and I am really glad you posted about this- I definitely struggle with this! (maybe all women do especially???)