8.05.2008

Routines & Such

Now that Adam has begun school again, we're settling back into our old routines. During the summer, while I was working and Adam was studying (a little) and fly fishing ( a lot!), he was also the domestic engineer. He cooked supper, he kept the house, he did the laundry.

Now, it was a nice break for me, I won't lie. Did he do everything the way that I would have? Oh, heck no. But, he did it. Along the way, he learned how to scrub a toilet and to make the meanest quesadilla this side of the Rio Grande. (No, seriously, it's flippin' awesome. I'll see if he'll let me put the recipe on here.) Aside from the delicioso food, surprisingly, it was hard for me ! I weirdly missed maintaining the house the way that I like to maintain it. Before the summer break, I was sick of cooking, sick of looking for recipes. But yesterday, I dug and found some recipes and then drew up my menu for the week and hit the grocery store with Adam. I was excited to cook & meal plan again.


What's happening to me? When did I become the sort of woman that likes to keep up her home and feed her hard-workin' husband? I'm not sure but it's nice to be nestling back into our old routine. Adam waking up at 5 a.m to get his study on. Me unloading the dishwasher with a hot cup of coffee. Weirdly, I like it.

Mostly, though, I'm excited to get back into the routine of seeing my girls again. Everyone is so crazy during the summer and I definitely look forward to my sanity checkpointers a.k.a. girls' group every Thursday. And seeing this gal.




And this soon to be mama:

Sarah back in April (baby is a lot bigger now!)


Here are my thoughts on summer: You know, come spring, you're just tired of it. You're tired of running around, things that you used to enjoy become obligations, you're ready to just be outside soaking up the sun, rid of responsibility. Summer gives you a taste of that. You get a breather and you become re-envisioned for the activities of daily life. Why I like to keep my house welcoming or why I take a night to meet with these friends each week. Summer's like this fleeting whiff of childhood but it gives value and purpose to the rest of the year, real life.

Plus, Powers is ready for cooler temps...

6 comments:

Brooke & Freeland said...

lovely way to put it! Glad that yall have your routines again.. and everything is getting back to "normal" and you have your cooking mojo back! :)

Bethany said...

I'm ready to take charge again too! I really enjoyed cooking and cleaning last night! I need to remember this feeling of bliss when it's mid-winter and I'm mad about scrubbing my kitchen floor and cleaning my bathroom.

Thanks for the new perspective Camille!

Lora said...

You always have functioned better with plan and order in your life-as do I!

Our Family said...

The routine thing is nice! I am ready to get our girls group going again.....I will just have a new little me to bring along for everyone to pass around and give me a little break! : ) Oh and tell Adam I really want his quesadilla recipe! I need some good mexican food!!

Ann Miller said...

you are old...welcome...come on in, the water's warm...

Olson Family said...

you are such a natural little helen housewife!