5.19.2010

An Airing of Thoughts

Note me in the background of this picture.
Poor Adam- I know he feels it some days!

Our pastor in Waco once said to treat your spouse like their day was harder than yours. Obviously, there may be an exception to that rule- like, if you were diffusing a bomb with bamboo shoots under your fingernails in the middle of a zoo with a pink lace petticoat on that was two sizes too small. But, aside from those situations, it's a pretty great rule.

I find myself easily falling into the I'm exhausted, how hard was my day category and envying Adam, usually at totally illogical times. I'll perceive that he has more freedom or more variety. When I sit and think, I am so happy with what I'm doing everyday- I would not want to go back to pre-Henry or my old job, I'm extremely blessed! I am so fortunate even if our family is far away, even if the future is uncertain, even if my husband is in medical school! And, I would definitely not want to be studying my pants off with the pressure of taking care of a family and matching into a good residency while the sun is shining outside like Adam is doing.

I'm asking God to create in me a more grateful heart. I need eyes to see more of the beauty of my days, not the monotony or the frustrations. When I ask, he's so faithful to show me the sweetest sights- Henry's hysterical laughter, incredible conversations with friends, the kindness of my husband, sunshine, a butterfly, sweet peace, whatever it is.

I'm asking for more compassion for others- that I can see the challenges that Adam faces and my friends & neighbors face and stop thinking about myself so much! I want a Phillipians 2 kinda heart where I really regard others as greater than myself. Where I look to their needs and not my own. I'm thankful that Jesus modeled that so well for us living on Earth. That he was willing to take on flesh and blood and live amongst us and love us and heal our craziness and frustrations and junky-junk.

And that is my airing for today!

9 comments:

Sarah said...

I feel the same way. After a while the monotony makes you forget to appreciate the beauty HE has given you...even if that little beauty is sometimes covered in desitin, boogers & dirt. :)

Lora said...

And THAT is why we all love you so much---your desire to be like Him and your care for each of us---like we are most special in your life. You are a great Wife, Mommie, Friend & Daughter & we ALL love you!

Lindsey said...

Your heart is so beautiful and I'm so glad you are my friend.

CaseyWiegand said...

You have the sweetest heart! I'm
just sick you don't live a mile away!!

The Tylers said...

Well said. I am praying for the same attitude and heart for similar reasons. You are blessed with such great writing skills. I love reading your posts!

william and brittany said...

amen sister. :)

Olson Family said...

girrrrl someday when we actually get to see each other in person we will have lots to talk about... EVERY.SINGLE.DAY I deal with those same issues. And the funny thing is none of those thoughts entered my mind until we moved. I think God takes us from our 'comfort' zones to teach us more about His character and that life is not about us (or at least in my case). Like I said, I'm sure we would have lots to discuss:)

C and G said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and for a sweet reminder of perspective!

lindsey said...

Thank you SO much for sharing this. I find myself getting caught up in the day to day and somehow getting down at times when, like you said, I truly do have some stinking amazing things to be thankful for! Great reminder. We are some blessed ladies!