5.24.2013

My Heart Is a Garden.

"I have surrounded the borders of my garden with a protective hedge to keep any animals, winds, or other harmful varmints from getting in to destroy the plants I have so purposefully planted.  I am very intentional about my garden, it has provided me with many years of pure joy.  All gardens are prone toward ruin unless they are cared for every day.  But mine is a work of love, and so I am committed to keeping it beautiful every day, as long as I live."
                      -Sally Clarkson, quoting an unnamed British gardener


"Watch over your heart with all diligence, for from it flow the springs of live."
                        -Proverbs 4:23

Lately, I am learning the discipline of gardening my heart.  That is, bringing my doubts, complaints and pity party tendencies before the Lord and sewing seeds of thanksgiving and worship.  Fixing the eyes of my heart on beauty and my eternal hope and learning the practice of bringing every worry, every unknown before God and resting in Him.

 I say discipline and practice because this does not come naturally to me.  I can easily stew over a frustration or worry and work myself up into a tizzy.  I can easily let all kinds of weird ideas and beliefs rush through my garden gate and not protect that which is beautiful and life-giving.  Lord, help me to sew in truth and love and tend to the weeds that choke out life.

2 comments:

Loralu said...

Beautifully said!

Bethany said...

I needed to read this tonight. Thanks for sharing your beautiful heart with your readers. Love you friend.