1.29.2009

I didn't get an "A"...

So, I got a message on my cell phone today from the OBGYN office telling me to call them back about my test results. 

Dum, Dum, Dummm....

I say "Dum, Dum, Dummm..." because normally they just leave me a message that tells me that my test results are back and for me to call the automated test results number and check on 'em.  So, I immediately had a feeling...this ain't good.  

So, I call the lady back and she tells me that: 

1.  I'm anemic (How weird is this...I take a prentatal vitamin with iron in it everyday!)  So, now I need to add on another iron pill to help.  This news actually made me feel validated because I have felt EXHAUSTED lately and so run-down.  I thought it was just because of busy time at work but the anemia adds in, too.  

2.  I didn't do so well on my gestational diabetes test on Tuesday. "Slightly elevated" were her words though she might just have been trying to be nice.   It was just the baseline test so now I have to go back tomorrow morning at 7:30a.m.  and drink the supery sugary drink and stay for 3 1/2 to 4 hours (geez!) while they draw my blood.   Also, I have to fast beginning at 10 p.m. ... including fasting from water.  

They clearly don't know that I drink two full glasses of water DURING the sleeping hours, do they?  Also, you don't get any water during the testing tomorrow which may be the death of me.  ( I drink a lot of water.)

So, I had a slight breakdown where I felt like I was a bad mother already and that I should've been doing things differently and eating more hunks of red meat of which Adam was able to talk me down and remind me of all the pregnant women who eat fast food every meal and wasn't I doing so much better than them?  Thanks husband.   So, I'll keep y'all posted with the results.  Thanks for listening to my rant.

Regardless of the results, we praise God for this little nugget growing inside of me and the blessing that he's already been.  

11 comments:

Lora said...

I AM PRAYING PRAYING PRAYING! What is wonderful is that they now know to test for this. No such animal when you all came along, so AGAIN it is a miracle that you are all here and alive. Our baby and his Momma will be fine!

Hannah Lee said...

Oh Sweet Camille! I pray for that baby growing inside of you and I will continue to do so. You are doing a wonderful job! Don't worry!

The Kiser's said...

You seem like a pretty healthy gal to me. I think it's impossible to feel like you're not doing everything right when preggos. I had myself worked up about all kinds of things.

Good luck on the next test.

Emily

The Tylers said...

Everything will be fine!!! They are just doing the precautionary measures! You are in my prayers, Camille!

Ann Miller said...

okay...it's all okay; even if you have gestational diabetes---you change your eating habits, get monitored, and it goes away after your birth--all good; it's just in the jeans for me to try to act like i know alot about medicine. adam may know a thing or two, but whatever!!! now...about the anemia...i had it, too. cousin, i hate to get too graphic, but please ask adam about taking iron suplements. better yet, call me and let me tell you about taking iron suplements!!! really...heed (sp?) my warning!!!
i love you and happy baby!!

adrian seney said...

I KNOW you will be fine! Good luck drinking that lovely drink again!

Cousin, sister is right. You need to be warned about the iron supplements. My iron was low with Audrey and had to take it. It can have a little effect on your bathroom business. I will leave it at that!

We will be praying. Love you!!

Bethany said...

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow when you'll be taking your other "sick day". Just kidding girl, you know I'll be praying for you and your little nugget.

Our Family said...

Don't worry, Camille! I failed the first one by a few points and actually cried about it because I thought I was a terrible mother!! Then I talked to alot of friends and family who said they also failed it and had to take the 4 hour test!! The test was long, but my doctor then told me my sugar was low so of course I went out for ice cream!!! I think that first test is not accurate at all! Make sure you take a book because it is long!!!

Olson Family said...

My fellow friend with anemia, I'm sure everything is fine. I was on Slow FE iron supplement the whole time I was pregnant with Jack on top of my prenatal and it's the same thing this go round. Darn anemia. I'm sure by your next appointment your iron count will be up! I have my glucose test on Tuesday morning but I don't have to fast...weird...

Gabe said...

'Sure am thirsty...

the Jennings secede from the South said...

Thanks Jerica...I didn't have to fast for the first one either. But then I failed it so I had to go back and do the big mama fasting test.