4.11.2008

Hobby-Man

Adam is a hobby-man. He'll become interested in something and he'll read about it, study up on it, research gear, and do it. When we were dating, it was triathlon. We did two triathlons together (which is the best relationship therapy you could have, I think. Nothing like getting off a bike with jello legs and then having to run in a wet bathing suit to bring up all your frustrations and emotions). Then after triathlon, it was the jeep. He loved his jeep and was always learning about it and how to do things to it and looking online at jeep stuff. (By the by, the jeep was my least favorite hobby. We definitely had a few discussions about ol' Ruby the jeep).

Then he traded in the jeep and got really into flyfishing. Now, fly fishing is my favorite hobby of Adam's. I can get behind a man out in creation. He gets to have guy time on the river and he can do it with our future children and how adorable is that to think about? Plus, the guy needs a break from studying his dance pants off. DoublePlus I can sit beside the river/creek and read a book in the sun or even cast a time or two. Adam's still into flyfishing but he's starting to look at kayaks to combine with the flyfishing. Kind of a dual hobby, if you will.

And these are just the hobbies since we've been dating! I didn't even touch on road biking, golf, boxing, climbing, backpacking, running, fly-tying, snowboarding, or wakeboarding! Adam and I have discussed this before and he thinks it stems from motorcross. You may or may not know that Adam is a retired professional motorcross racer. Yes, it's true! Growing up, he spent hours and hours on his Suzuki, training for races every weekend. He retired young, praise Jesus he doesn't have a broken back, and since then, he's needed an active outlet, a pursuit to improve upon. I'm more of the "Let me be good immediately or else I'll quit after one try" school or the "20 hobbies at once" school but that's just me. The point is: I like Adam and his fly fishing. Man is different than woman. Sushi sounds good right now.

Today's post was brought to you by the letter "E", the number 3, and viewers like you!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you haven't gone to Lake Erie Ultimate Angler, definitely go. Not only is it a great store but Steve Brugger, the owner, is an insanely nice guy.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention that the store is an outdoor clothing store besides being a fly-fishing store. Including things for dogs!

the Jennings secede from the South said...

Cool, Thanks, David!

Deb said...

Camille, I was always of the if I can't do things well right away I quit, too. It all stems from the secret fear that I can do this forever but will never be any good at it...so will move on to what I am good at...maybe if I had done motocross I wouldn't be this way. Fun to imagine anyway....

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

Trout season starts soon which means it is going to snow one last time in Erie.

I HATE SUSHI........there I said it. It is out in the open. I can hate it too because I have tried it numerous times and numerous restaraunts and it is disgusting. Especially the one wrapped in that blackish/green seaweed wrap....it is like chewing black electrical tape. Clean up your palette!

Anonymous said...

tip: you can get sushi wrapped in soy paper (which is pink) instead of seaweed and it is much easier to eat (i.e. you don't spend most of your experience trying to bite through the seaweed etc.

Men tend to have more expensive hobbies in my opinion. That is why I support running- it is free.