5.11.2008

Labor of Love

This morning, Bethany & I had our first go at volunteering for the church nursery. We were in the room with the babies (under 2) and we had a lot of laughs, fun, and a little body fluid but, hey, that's what kleenex's were invented for. I love to watch the expression on the kiddos' faces when their moms or dads come to pick them up. It's such a look of joy. The mom's I saw looked right back at them with a loving smile. I thought about how those moms (and dads, but it's mothers' day so we'll focus on you in June) labor all day and night to provide for and take care of those kids. They nurture, love, discipline, bathe, clean, clothe, feed, calm, rock, change diapers, referee, and so much more without a "Thank you" from those babies. I don't have any kids, so I don't know that love yet but I find it amazing and inspiring. The delight that a mom and dad takes in their child models the love that the Lord takes in us- not because we earn it but just because we're His.

I thought about my own mom, today, and the times that I put her through. I wasn't a very quiet child and I sure wasn't a respectful pre-teen. I was blessed and receiving so much that I did not deserve but was not grateful. I'm so thankful that my mom (and dad- but again, it's mothers' day) kept loving me, kept asking me about my day, kept disciplining me, kept after my heart. It modeled the unconditional love of our Savior, the slow to anger & rich in love God of the Universe.

Most moms that i know are plagued with guilt- they feel like they're failing, not doing enough, not loving well enough, not making organic baby food and canning it in your own vegetable garden/cellar. There is weird comparison that happens amongst moms and lots of women feel like they fall short. I think that's a horrible attack of the enemy. I love what the Bible says:

"The generous prosper and are satisfied; those who refresh others will themselves be refreshed."
-Proverbs 11:25

"I live in that high and holy place with those whose spirits are contrite and humble. I refresh the humble and give new courage to those with repentant hearts"
-Is. 57:15

Great promise to claim! Moms walk so humbly and selflessly refresh and serve us. Thank you. Praying that you Moms are refreshed today by the goodness of God!

Thanks, Mom! For teaching me about discipline, integrity, and purity. For making me call and apologize if I was rude to someone, for cheering me on even when I groaned at you, and for teaching me how to listen well to others. Thank you, Jule, for raising Adam into a man who is so loving and so trustworthy. Thanks for not letting him get into the car with yahoos, for driving him to races all over the country, and encouraging him. You both protected us and loved us well. We are thankful for you!!!

10 comments:

Lora said...

AND WE ARE BLESSED MORE!

Our Family said...

It looked like you were having fun in there this morning! I will be happy to offer you some extra practice next year! : )

Deb said...

CCCJ - you are so wise for your years!

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

We need LOTS more moms like that. I guess I grieve for the children out there that don't have the support they need and I fear there are more of them than there are of US.

You got the referree part right also...I got a 19 year old that picks on the 4 year old, who then picks on the 18 month old (ALL BOYS)....it is like the WWF at my house. I am glad that I don't drink or it could get ugly.

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

Actually, the more I think about it....I should be wearing a black and white striped outfit and charging by the hour.....where did I put my friggin whistle!

Anonymous said...

such wise words...ironically enough I worked in the nursery yesterday morning too! With kids under 2....so funny. Ps. don't even think about giving that age playdoh. Big mistake.

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

Playdough should be outlawed!!!! My mom NEVER let us play with it and NOW I see why. EVIL EVIL EVIL playdough!

the Jennings secede from the South said...

Oh, on Jon & Kate plus 8 they taught how to make edible play dough with peanut butter, honey, flour, and something else. Yum.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for joining us in the nursery on Sunday! Isn't that age fun?

Derek said...

This was a great post Camille - I just shot my mom an email today after reading this (we did the lunch thing yesterday but I didn't get to say all I wanted to) - thanks for the inspiration.