5.20.2008

Potterheads Anonymous

Am I becoming a potterhead? (Not to be confused with a pothead- I'm not smoking the weed, folks)

Let's start from the beginning. Adam loves Harry Potter books. I look over and he's smiling like a little boy as he reads about Harry and his adventures at Hogwarts. I took great pleasure in teasing Adam about Harry Potter. I've seen the movies with Adam and I enjoyed them but I never read the books. Adam would insist, tell me that I'd love Harry Potter if I'd just give him a chance. I never did. On Thursday night, I finished my fiction book and didn't feel like transferring to my non-fiction book so I went downstairs and searched the bookshelves for a new book to embark upon. Even an old one would do.... something I haven't read six times already...okay, fine. I'll get the first Harry Potter book and read it until I fall asleep.

Three hours later, I finally had to will myself to shut the book and turn out my lamp. Adam slept peacefully beside me, satisfied, somehow knowing that he had converted me into a Potterhead. Over the past five days, I finished the first two Harry Potter books and am into the third Harry Potter book- the Prisoner of Azkaban. They're fantastic- such fun reads but also with good life lessons, I think. Lessons about the choices we make and loyalty and integrity. But also I laugh out loud when I read them sometimes because those Weasley boys are stinkin' funny.

So I think I'm a Potterhead. I'm joining the ranks of my husband, best pal Mary Lou, and billions of twelve year olds.

I only wish that I could read at work...

7 comments:

Lora said...

NOW I know why you have not called your WONDERFUL Mother! Usurped by Harry Potter-WOE IS ME!

Matthew Stone said...

Please teach me how to have time to read. I would like to know.

The Kiser's said...

these are 7 terrific reads. my spouse and i have read all 7, couldn't put 'em down. the movies are really great too. don't feel guilty, it's ok.

kjds said...

No guilt! Harry is the bomb.com! Enjoy, enjoy! My sister and I are addicts ... we love going to see the movies together!

lesli said...

my husband recently finished all of them, but i will NOT give in to potter~mania! plus i only read blogs. enjoy!

Danielle said...

i'm totally with you. the same kind of thing happened to me. they are really wonderful books.

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

I can't read....I get obsessive (hence the name) and then I won't sleep or watch my children etc. I get too involved. I have to stick w/magazines (at least until my chitlins are old enough to stay out of the street). My 19 year old has read them all over and over again.